Cyrellys Geibhendach. A Sitrep is an abbreviated military term for “Situation Report”. This report can be for a singular incident or event or for a periodic update.
The information accumulated is standardized, concise, and to the point.
Information included in a Sitrep includes but is not limited to:
Sitrep No. (version no.)
Date of Issue
Date of Event
Time period of Event
Witness or Reporting Party Contact Details
Event or Situation Location (city, county, state)
Situation to date (what has happened)
– Brief summary of situation of concern
– what witness was doing at time of situation
– Is witness(s) available for contact followup
Actions to date (what has bee done)
– Brief reporting of actions completed (typically for period covered by sitrep)
– Table format may be used for repeat actions or progression
– include new incident report and review information
Actions to be completed (what will or needs to be done)
– Brief reporting of scheduled/planned actions
– As above, table may be used for repeat actions
– Where the operation expects to be by next sitrep
– present brief description of issues that are known or reasonably expected to arise before next sitrep. i.e. resource shortage, cautions
– Sitreps maybe kept short-term or long-term
– Sitreps maybe collected for a given area providing a history of the area to which abnormal events may be compared.
– Multiple Sitreps should be kept on separate sheets of paper in a binder where easily retrieved, with easy access, and ability to remove pages to copy or transmit
– physical vs digital record keeping. Digital records are subject to being inaccessible in a crisis if electricity for the storage device is unavailable. This is why physical record keeping is preferrable.
– Information in Sitreps should be factual and largely without conjecture or interpretation
– Information contained within a Sitrep should cover the period between the current Sitrep and the next if applicable.
– Sitreps should be brief and not a narrative (read in 3-5 minutes).
– Sitreps should be specific for a given functional area
– It is acceptable for a sitrep to be issued that states “no changes since last Sitrep”
– A map or other graphic may be part of a Sitrep (ensure date/time of graphic is on graphic)
– Ensure the information (sitrep number, response title, sitrep version) is updated in the footer
– Sitreps are used by and familiar to: researchers, private investigators, emergency service personnel, military, militias, and various other organizations.
There are examples of formats available online by searching: Sitrep Format